Frequently Asked Questions

Where is our office?

Our office is located at


11-3300 Steeles Ave., W.
Vaughan, ON L4K 2Y4

What are our office hours?

Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

How can I get in contact with you?

We invite you to contact us at


Telephone: 905.660.6610
Fax: 905.660.0879
Email: info@sidenbergdarchi.com

What is the CCH Client Portal?

Watch this video, Client Portal Overview, and find out!

Are you accepting new clients?

We are accepting new clients. Please call or email to arrange a consultation with us to get started.

How long should I keep my tax documents and receipts?

We advise taxpayers to keep their records and documents for 7 years.


Note that you should scan your documents where there is a chance the printing may fade, such as cash register receipts. You are responsible for keeping and maintaining your records if CRA wishes to review your documents and receipts.

How can I contact CRA?

For personal tax inquiries, call 1 800 959 8281.


For business inquiries, call 1 800 959 5525.


Once the line is answered, you can press the * key to get transferred to an operator right away. During peak periods, you may often get a busy signal, but once the line picks up the wait time is rarely more than 2-3 minutes.

How do I sign up to access my information with the CRA online?

Sign up for My Account at the CRA website.


Click the button to Register. You will need to enter your SIN, date of birth, other identifying information and information from past tax returns. You will be prompted to enter security questions, and a user ID and password. Your access code will be mailed to you in a few days.

What is Processing Review?

Processing review takes place after a notice of assessment is generated. CRA reviews the deductions and credits claimed, and may request supporting documentation.

What is Pre-Assessment Review?

A pre-assessment review is when CRA reviews the deductions and credits claimed (and may request supporting documentation) before sending a Notice of Assessment.

Do I have to pay income tax installments?

Generally, installments are required when tax owing in a prior year is $3,000 or greater. The quarterly installment to pay is ¼ of the balance owed in the prior year. CRA will send installment reminders in this situation.

What is my filing deadline?

If you are an individual and you have a December 31 fiscal year-end, you have to file your GST/HST return by June 15 and pay the amount you owe by April 30. In all other cases, you have to file your GST/HST return and pay the amount you owe no later than three months after the end of your fiscal year.

What are the penalties for late-filing and interest on overdue balances?

The penalty for late-filing a tax return is 5% of the balance due, plus an additional penalty of 1% of the outstanding balance for each full month the return is late.


Interest on overdue taxes, CPP and EI remittances is charged at CRA’s prescribed rate and compounded daily.

What should I do if I can't pay my bill?

In this situation, it is best to contact CRA’s debt management call centre at 1-888-863-8657 to speak to an agent about your circumstances. They may agree to a payment plan. Send them what you can as you are able, in order to pay off the balance as soon as possible. Interest will continue to be applied as long as the balance is unpaid.

CRA is asking me to send in receipts, am I being audited?

A review is a request for documentation supporting one or more deductions and credits, whereas an audit is a full examination of a tax return (often for multiple years).


CRA routinely conducts reviews throughout the year. Receipts commonly requested during reviews include:


  • Tuition
  • Medical
  • Charitable donations
  • Rent
  • Property tax
  • Childcare


In addition, when foreign tax credits are claimed CRA will often request supporting documentation (usually a foreign tax return.)

The CRA is calling/emailing me, is it real or is it a scam?

Criminals often attempt to gain personal and financial information by pretending to be from the CRA.


Often these contacts try to convince taxpayers that they owe money and are in danger of being arrested or having assets seized. Do not give any information over the phone or through email. Ask for the agent’s ID and phone number and request a letter describing the problem. Tell the person you will look into it with your accountants and will follow up if necessary.


Learn more about these scams and how you can protect yourself,


Protect yourself against fraud

*Please contact us if you have any additional questions or concerns*